Write your name in salad and watch it grow to enjoy a personal touch at tea time. This fun, simple activity can be enjoyed by the whole family this half term.
Here’s what you’ll need!
A seed tray (or other pot/container)
Small bag of multi-purpose compost
Salad seeds (try rocket seeds and purple basil/lettuce seeds)
A watering can with a rose (sprinkler) in the spout.
- Fill your seed tray(s) or pot/container(s) with compost.
- Lightly press down the compost so it’s firm in the tray.
- Mark out your name in the compost either using sand or by writing your name into it with a stick.
- Sow the rocket seeds along the letters of your name in the compost.
- Next, sow a border around the name using the purple basil or purple lettuce seeds. Leave about 5cm between the letters of your name and the border.
- Sieve or sprinkle fine soil or compost over the seeds. Be gentle so you don’t move the seeds.
- Water your tray using the watering can. Be gentle and make sure the watering can has a rose (sprinkler) in the spout so you don’t wash the seeds out of place.
- Put the seed tray on your window sill or outside in your garden or balcony. Clip your name as it grows and enjoy eating it!