‘The right trousers’ is this weeks fun and simple project for you to get involved with. Re-use your old jeans to grow planted pants in the garden.
Here’s what you’ll need!
Some bamboo canes
A selection of seeds or young plants – flowering or edible plants are all fine
You’ll also need some old jeans or trousers – ask a grown up first!
- Find a spot in the garden where you want to plant your trousers.
- Tie the legs of the trousers into knots so that compost can’t come out of the bottom of the trouser legs.
- Push the bamboo canes into the belt hoops around the trouser waist, and tie them there with string. You’ll need to tie in at least three or four canes for each pair of trousers.
- Push the bamboo canes into the ground so your trousers are standing up.
- Now fill your trousers with the compost to just an inch or two below the waist.
- Give the trousers a good watering. If the compost settles and no longer comes close to the waist, top up the trousers with some more compost.
- Now you can plant the waist of your trousers with your seeds or plants. If you pick some tumbling plants they’ll trail down the legs.
- Try cutting some openings into the trouser legs and putting seeds or plants into the holes for a fun ripped jeans look!